Eduard 1/144 Avia CS-92

By Matt Bittner

Introduction

No need to go into a history on the Messerschmitt Me 262. There are other sources of references one can track down for all versions of this well known, German, end-of-WW2 jet. A number of countries ended up taking a couple post-war and made their own versions of it, Avia being one of them. My goal for this kit was to motivate me to model again and while it accomplished that goal, getting there took longer than anticipated. I was hoping to finish this kit in a weekend but ended up taking a month because of "other things" (like life) getting in the way. Is it possible to build this in a weekend? Definitely! In fact it's possible to build this in a day if you have time - and if you aren't constantly interrupted by life and its idiocyncracies.

Construction

There is actually very little to construction. Paint the cockpit/interior (and it's a very decent interior if you close the canopy), put some nose weight in and you can glue the fuselage halves together. I ended up adding Tamiya-tape seat belts but that was all I added to this kit - everything else is out of the box. There was a little seam needing attention on the top of the nose, but the rest of the fuselage seam dissappeared after sanding.

Now that the fuselage halves were glued together the rest could fall together. If you're careful you can glue the one-piece wing to the fuselage with no seam at the wing root. Unfortunately - especially for my build - there were seams on the underside (where the wing met the fuselage) that needed extra attention. It could have been how I assembled it, but be aware, just in case. After gluing the engine nacelles together (two piece halves and intake and exhuast cone for each side) take your time assembling these to the wing as well. I had seams on the top that had to be dealt with. Those and the underside wing-to-fuselage seams were the only major work required as the horizontal tail piece seams were dealt with by light sanding.

Now the aircraft was mostly assembled I turned my attention to gluing the canopy to the model, since I was keeping it closed. I did a little bit of masking for the frames but only the major seams. I used decal strips for the rest of the frames. There was a little seam work to be done where the canopy glued to the model, but some of it was due to my own stupidity. I glued on the canopy before touching up the inside of the cockpit where a seam had to be sanded behind the rear cockpit. Doh! So, I cracked one side, carefully "hinged" the canopy and passed a brush underneath for the touch up. Then I glued the canopy back down and worked on the seam. And to think I've been modeling for years and years...

I was able to paint once all the major pieces were together. Since it was a single, overall-color painting was a breeze and I used "Aircraft Colors" (Aeromaster's version of Vallejo acrylics) RLM 02 Grau. It went on with no difficulties at all and after a day of drying I put on a coat of Future. Once the Future dried then I turned my attention to the decals and here you need to be careful. The wing-walk "stripes" I mistakenly thought was a one-piece, all-encompasing decal, when in fact the decal film was only in the place of where the "stripes" were. Not paying attention caused me to lose of side of the wing-walk decals so I opted to not put on the other decal either and instead drew on the stripes with a .005" Micron marker. Doesn't look great, but also doesn't look half-bad, either.

One more coat of Future over the decals and it was time for an application of my-own-mix oil color grey to pop out the neatly engraved panel lines. The main parts of the canopy's frames were applied with painted decals while the smaller frames were hand painted. A final coat of Polly Scale dull coat and I had a finished, 1/144th Avia CS.92. The base is just a picture frame with grey poster board as the base, and the lines drawn with a .01" Micron marker. Glue the plane to the base and voila! A completed model.

Conclusion

This was a very nice kit to try and get the modeling motivation back. Not too difficult and since this was the bagged edition of the kit there were no photoetch pieces to worry about. Sure, I could add antennas and the like but that would defeat the purpose of this build which was a kind-of-quick and relatively easy model to get me modeling again.

Thanks to Eduard for the review kit.

Roll Models

Sandle Hobbies

Profile Art EN Banyai-Riepl Illustrations