MiniArt 1/35 Soviet Field Kitchen KP-42
Assembling the Trailer
There were two areas that I might have made a mistake on – better instructions would have helped here. The main springs that hold the axle and the axle assembly also provide an attachment point for the side fenders. No matter which way I put these parts together they came out looking slightly askew from what I see in the final drawings. Nevertheless, they look ok for a field kitchen so I moved on.
Also, the sides of the main cooking tub assembled in Step 3 must fit around the tub cover built in Step 4, and the cover fits only one way. I suggest that you have the cover handy before working on Step 3 so you will be able to adjust the parts accordingly. The cover is not actually glued to the cooking tub until Step 9 but I would do so prior to attaching the delicate exhaust pipe at the top, which I saved until the end. The hatch at the top of the tub cover can be built in the open or closed position, as can the lids of the two side-mounted food-storage cans.
The two illustrations of the main chassis are flipped in the instructions to assist with assembly – make sure you are aware of that fact before gluing several small pieces on each side upside down – not that I would know anything about that! Steps 25 and 26 provide the different assembly approaches for a towed trailer as opposed to a stand-alone operating kitchen.
What I like the best about these figures are the natural poses and simple look to them once completed. The artist responsible for these gems should be congratulated for the fine craftsmanship. Beautiful.
Painting and Finish
Tires and wheels - I painted the outer slice of each side of each tire (6 parts) Model Master US Army Helo Drab before assembly. The wheels were painted the same color as the trailer (see below).
Trailer - I assembled the entire trailer before painting it and the three wheels from above. I started with a coat of Model Master Russian Armor Green.
Once dry, I followed this with a post-shading coat of Model Master Topside Green, applied to the exposed flat surfaces, leaving the darker color to mix with the background black in the shaded areas. I then assembled the tires and wheels, hand-painted the unpainted tread Helo Drab, and attached them to the trailer.
Once dry, I shot the whole thing with a coat of Future to prepare the surface for a wash and let everything set for three days. Next I applied a pin wash of Windsor Newton Raw Umber thinned with Mona Lisa thinner.
Once this was dry I dry-brushed the exposed edges with Model Master Afrika DunkelGrau, followed by a pass with a Prismacolor silver pencil here and there to bring out a metallic glint.
Finally I dusted the lower trailer parts and wheels with a mix of MIG Black, Russian Earth and Old Rust pigments. The last step was to dust the exhaust stack with MIG Old Rust.
The build took me about eight hours to complete, most of the time spent on the finish.
The completed kit conveys the practical look of any bivouac vignette on any battlefield, and I think it will also look perfect behind a utility vehicle on a muddy road somewhere on the Eastern front.
I would recommend this kit to experienced modelers due to the complexity of painting figures. That said, however, the kit builds into a very nice and unique representation. I'd like to thank MRC for providing the review sample, and Internet Modeler for giving me the opportunity to build the kit.