Miniwing 1/144 Avro CF-105 Arrow
By Matt Bittner
You can see the parts break-out in my First Look back in February. There really isn't much to this kit. Even so, it's taken me awhile to finish it. I started it during the summer so around six months is actually quite quick for me.
Now for the most difficult part. Attaching the wing. Just joking. It was quite simple and with the use of Apoxie to fill the underside gap (small that it was) I didn't have to sand anything. There was some blending when I attached the vertical tail but it too was minimal. The intakes, on the other hand, took a little bit of sanding/finesse and some filling to achieve a smooth seam. Although at first I thought about attaching the exhaust cones last, there were some small gap issues with that piece as well, so I attached it prior to painting, and just masked it when I painted.
I also thought the landing gear doors were too thick, and because there was molded-in detail for the inside surfaces, decided not to scratch new ones and instead sanded the outer surfaces to better scale thickness.
I tried something new for me. Instead of the mess I ended up with the Wolfpack Designs TSR.2, I decanted Tamiya Fine White Primer and sprayed it through my airbrush. Still wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. I read later on through a modeling forum that I probably should have thinned it even more. I may remember that for a later model, but I'm still looking for an easy-to-spray primer for resin models. The next one I'll try is Alclad's Grey Primer. It took a few sandings between coats before I was happy with thefinish. Initially I was going to finish the CF-105 as RL 201, the first prototype, but after seeing another modeler's take on the same model in the same markings on the Yahoo Small Scale Models group, decided to try another aircraft. After the white dried I masked the model and sprayed the exhaust Alclad Jet Exhaust (as well as the part of the tail the instructions call for black - it looked more "metally" than black to me) and sprayed the area on the spine Alclad Aluminum along with a small section of the intake (where Miniwing provides a decal for).
Another area I wasn't sure of were the gear wells. Instructions call for those to be aluminum, but I couldn't tell that for sure looking at photos on-line. So, I went the easy route and left them white. I did spray the landing gear with the Alclad Aluminum when I sprayed the spine, though.
Once all the other pieces were added then Future was sprayed. After waiting a couple of days (not only for the Future to cure, but life tends to interfere with my modeling quite frequently) I then started to add the decals. I've mentioned this in all the First Looks I've written on Miniwingkits and it's important to mention it again. Their decals are ALPS-generated so care must be taken with them. You can't keep working them into position, you need to try to get the position right on the first try and leave the decal alone while it dries, otherwise you risk rubbing off the ink. Another hint: use water to position them and then apply any solution you want to use after the decal is firmly in place. I wanted to use my usual method of decal adhering - using Future underneath - but knew that with pushing the decal into the Future would run the risk of rubbing the ink off. So, it was water and then MicroSol after the decal started to set.
My thanks to Miniwing for the review kit. I feel their kits are the best resin in this scale.