Eduard 1/72 Spitfire Mk.XVI Dual Combo
By Matt Bittner
The Spitfire Mk.XVI started as a Mk.IX but with a different engine, the Merlin 266, which was basically a Merlin 66 built under license by the Packard Motor Company. Plus, all XVI-types were of the Low-Altitude Fighter (LF) variety because of this engine and all XVIs produced had clipped-wings. They used both the high- and low-back fuselages.
The Eduard 1/72 Spitfire Mk.XVI has mostly the same parts as all the other Eduard Mk.IXs. The difference being the fuselages and the top of the forward fuselage. Since there are a lot of common parts between this and their Mk.IXs (including Mk.VII and VIII parts) you'll have a lot left over to fill your spares box. This release also contains two photoetch frets, one for each kit (it's a Dual Combo, remember) as well as Eduard's masks. Eduard's decals are for the following aircraft:
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TB900, No. 349 Squadron, Wunstorf, Germany, Summer 1945
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TD341, No. 443 Squadron, Uetersen Airfield, Germany, August 1945
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TB675, No. 485 Squadron (RNZAF), W/O M. Lond, Fassberg, Germany, Summer 1945
- Spitfire Mk.XVI SL721, Flown by Air Vice Marshall Sir James Robb, 1948
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TD240, Flown by Squadron Leader Boleslaw Kaczmarek, Commanding Officer of No. 302 Squadron, Varrelsbuch Air Field, Germany, Summer 1945
- Spitfire Mk.XVI RR227, Flown by Squadron Leader Otto Smik, Commanding Officer of No.127 Squadron, Grimbergen Airfield, Belgium, November 1944
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TB634, No.421 Squadron (RCAF), Pilot Officer A.F. McIntosh, B.90 Airfield, Petit Brogel, Belgium, March 1945
- Spitfire Mk.XVI TB752, Flown by Squadron Leader Henry Zary, Commanding Officer of No.403 Squadron, Belgium, April 1945
The kit contains parts to build one high-back and one low-back model.
Once again Eduard has released the superlative edition of an aircraft, this time the Spitfire Mk.XVI in 1/72. Purchase this kit with the assurance you have the best one in the scale.
We definitely thank Eduard for supplying the review kit.