CTA 1/72 "Phantom Shades of Gray" Low Viz F-4J/N/S & RF-4B Decals
By Matt Bittner
CTA (Cut Then Add) is a relatively new decal manufacturer and this is our second review of their sets. The first review, for their RF-4Bs, saw they are a company with high quality as their decals are expertly printed. In addition, their instructions are well done.
This release, of F-4J/N/S and RF-4Bs, is no exception. Their instructions include either a port or starboard side artist rendering (boith sides for the more unique aircraft), plus a bottom and top for the "typical" camo, plus any of them that are unique (like the F-4J of VF-194 in its splinter-like scheme). In addition, since they include full stencling decals CTA includes a really well done page of instructions on where these stencils go.
And like the release for RF-4Bs this set is also really well printed and I can find no registration problems. There are decals for the following Phantoms:
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II, Bu.No. 153798, NL/212, VF-194 Red Lightnings, USS Coral Sea, February 1977
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II, Bu.No. 153850, AE/100, VF-102 Diamondbacks, USS Independence, July 1979.McDonnell-Douglas
- F-4N Phantom II, Bu.No. 151431, NK/104, VF-154 Black Knights, USS Coral Sea, August 1983.McDonnell-Douglas
- F-4N Phantom II, Bu.No. 152977, NK/206, VF-21 Freelancers, USS Coral Sea, April 1983.McDonnell-Douglas
- F-4S Phantom II, Bu.No. 153877, AA/101, VF-74 Be-Devilers, USS Forrestal, June 1982.McDonnell-Douglas
- RF-4B Phantom II, Bu.No. 151978, RF/04, VMFP-3 Eyes of the Corps, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, March 1983
- McDonnell-Douglas RF-4B Phantom II, Bu.No. 151979, NF/116, VMFP-3 Eyes of the Corps, USS Midway, January 1984
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4S Phantom II, Bu.No. 163862, AA/201, VF-103 Sluggers, USS Forrestal, October 1982
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4S Phantom II, Bu.No. 155747, AA/203, VF-103 Sluggers, USS Forrestal, September 1982
So, if you're looking for decals to replace the "stickers" in the first release of Academy's F-4J, or alternative markings for any of the other Phantom variants in 1/72, by all means pick up this set from CTA.
My thanks go to CTA for sending this set to review.