Arma Hobby 1/72 Sea Hurricane Mk.IB
By Matt Bittner
Since we have already provided a First Look at the Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.I Expert Set I refer the reader to that article for the majority of what's in the box. This article will cover the additions and changes for the Sea Hurricane derivative.
First of all, here are the aircraft Arma Hobby provides decals for:
- Sea Hurricane IB, Z7153 "F", No. 801 Naval Air Squadron, aircraft carrier HMS Eagle, Operation Pedestal, August 1942
- Sea Hurricane IB, V6695 "K", No. 801 Naval Air Squadron, aircraft carrier HMS Eagle, Operation Pedestal, August 1942
- Sea Hurricane IB, AF953 "A", No. 802 Naval Air Squadron, aircraft carrier HMS Avenger, summer 1942
- Sea Hurricane IB, V7506 "7T", No. 885 Naval Air Squadron, aircraft carrier HMS Victorious, Operation Pedestal, August 1942
- Sea Hurricane IB, Z4849 "7G", pilot: Sub/Lt Hugh Popham, No. 880 Naval Air Squadron, Operation Pedestal, aircraft carrier HMS Indomitable, August 1942
The decals are nicely printed and offer all stencling that was provided for in the first release.
While this release does not come with the photoetch provided in the Expert Set reviewed above, it does provide 3D printed parts, first and foremost for the Sea Hurricane version. For that, you'll need to cut each fuselage half on a panel line as shown in the instructions, then when the fuselage halves are glued together the 3D printed piece is glued into the resulting "hole". The 3D printed parts also include the arrestor hook, exhausts (2 options), mirror, headrest, gun camera, oil collector ring, catapult spools and anti-glare exhaust shields. Plus, Arma Hobby provides two vinyl panels that are added to the underside of the wing, next to the radiator outlet.
Building this variant from Arma Hobby will take a little more effort than their prior releases, but it will result in an excellent looking Sea Hurricane Mk.IB. Take your time and the effort will definitely pay out.
We definitely thank Arma Hobby for providing the review kit.